Trevi 5, Gluten Free in Hershey, PA

I find it hard to travel away from the city and still find a meal that I enjoy - and enjoy it not because it is loaded with what I refer to as America's top addictive ingredients (butter, oil, and salt) - but because when I bite into it I can taste the love and passion that was used to create this masterpiece.

For me, eating is not a matter of necessity, but rather an enjoyable, premeditated event that occurs three, or more, times a day. Which is why it pisses me off even more when I go out to eat, usually paying a ridiculous fee, and yet I don't enjoy the meal. It aggravates me to all ends. I know, it's a little odd, but it is who I am and food is a very important part of my life. It's disappointing to me to take a bite in such a lovely plated dish and to my disgust, the only real flavor that my tongue is experiencing is that of butter, oil, salt, and in general - cheap inexpensive ingredients 

A good family friend (Maria) of ours is a chef in the Hershey area and I have had the pleasure of tasting a number of her creations throughout the years. She is greatly knowledgeable on all of my allergies and contamination concerns and still creates some amazing dishes.

Maybe it is my fear of eating out safely in the Harrisburg / Hershey, PA area but I had not yet ventured out to Maria's place of employment - Trevi 5. I decided, I'm spending Christmas at my parents' house, which makes it nearly impossible to cook gluten free, so why not go out and enjoy myself an early Christmas meal? Mom, Cory, and I made a day out of it. We started at the Antique Auto Museum in Hershey, PA and then strolled over to the Hershey Hotel for lunch and ended the day at Chocolate World.

Let me start by saying, Trevi 5 sets the standards pretty high. As you walk into the Hotel and up the tiled stairs the atmosphere gives off that upper class, fancy-food aroma. You know exactly what I am talking about! As you enter Trevi 5, the host greets you in a professional and elite manner and yet, he had this way about him that made you feel 'at-home' or 'at-ease'. As we approached our table, I asked the waitress if Maria was working today. I was in luck, the lady of the hour was in fact working and even took the time to come out and greet us. Immediately just started rattling off all the gluten and dairy free options that might be of interest to me. I have to say, I was a bit intimidated, as I am still not use to having so many options, and many of the dishes she was rattling off where not included on the menu. Which, I must say is not smart on their part, I'm sure they would attract many more gluten free customers if they marketed the availability of gluten free pasta and gluten free bread (for sandwiches). Those of us who are not use to having a large menu selection, tend to get overly excited for the larger gluten free menus.



I did the daring and asked Maria to just surprise me. I'm not picking and would eat pretty much anything so just whip up something? She of course agreed. Our first round of the day...

Mom's espresso. She claims they have the BEST espresso around. Coming from my mom, that is a true complement. 

Second round... a meat and cheese platter. The table's favorite was the chutneys. I think it was a tie between the chocolate and the ginger pear. Both where DELICIOUS! To top it off, I was given a very generous helping of gluten free bread to go with the meat and cheese tray. This bread was pretty decent for gluten free bread. It was lightly toasted and yet still held onto a little of it's chewy or so-called 'softness'. Given the high standard set on this meat and cheese tray - as I could taste the freshness and quality of these delectables. 



Now, for the entrees.
Mom ordered her favorite combination - fig and arugula salad. By a visual, the balsamic appeared to include chocolate. Regardless, mom loved it - in fact she devoured it. 

Drum roll please! Here was the meal of the hour, the mystery, the master piece the --- Merry in my Merry Christmas - and so on. 
This was the most enjoyable meal I have had in a long time, and yet so simple. Maria is truly Trevi 5's best kept secret. No lie. My first bite in I feared this not gluten free pasta, she must have made a mistake- of course she had not. The meat sauce was excellent -reminded me of my dad's. The sauce was...not too sweet ( which is typically the cardinal sin of all restaurants) and packed a good garlic-y punch.

What I am trying to say, is Trevi 5 and Maria made my Christmas. Without them, I wouldn't have been able to enjoy a Holiday meal. I will of course return and I would like for Trevi 5 to know just how much value their chef, host, and waitress really are. The entire experience was a pleasure. 

Thank you. 
Nicole

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2nd Annual Philly S.E.E.D Fest 2017 Recap

Charlie was a sinner. Philadelphia, PA (Vegan and Gluten-Free)

Tia Lupita Hot Sauce

Han Dynasty is a gluten free safe heaven!!

When Some days...You Just Feel Like The Odd Man Out

How Living With A Dog Has Changed My Life

Mom's Organic, Naked Lunch both Vegan and Gluten Free

King Daddy's Chicken and Waffles, Asheville, NC Gluten-Free and Vegetarian Friendly

Philly S.E.E.D Fest 2017

Ayurvedic Carrot Soup