Rawlicious, NYC

During a recent visit to my Aunt's - she had her heart set on traveling into Little Italy for a free tour. We arrived in the city around 1:00pm ish and I was already starving. The plan was to join a 2:00pm tour... which theoretically gives one plenty of time to sit down and eat somewhere, the problem now - where to eat in Little Italy that is gluten free safe and free of contamination.

To be very blunt, there was a number of places that offered gluten free dishes, but they just did not look like they would pass my cross-contamination test. I was sort of in panic mode and trying to not freak out - I pulled out my phone and was using my favorite app - finemeglutenfree.com. I found a raw food place a block or so out of Little Italy. Now, my Aunt was not super pleased that we were stepping out of Little Italy, not even more a moment, but a girl needs to eat!

After a short walk, we found it! Rawlicious was just sitting there - as if it had been waiting for me! I'm still rather new to the raw food world and I have to say, I was a bit nervous because you never know what you are going to get - taste and portion wise - but hey, it was going to be gluten free by-golly!

I got a little overwhelmed with the menu but spotted a couple things I new I would like to check out - so I asked for some suggestions for the staff.

The Pad Thai won me over. Made from both zucchini and kelp noodles tossed with a little romaine lettuce, carrots, bell peppers, green onions, cashews, and a tangy Thai sauce.

I took my order to go, thinking this way my Aunt and guests could head to another Little Italy location and get something to eat.

We ended up sitting at a local bakery - they were kind enough to allow me to sit there and eat my raw meal.
At this point, I was starving, I didn't care if this dish tasted like dog food - I was going to down it.

Lucky for me, this dish was actually amazing! The noodles where just the right texture and the sauce was a little sweet, a little tangy, and ever so addicting!

I wrote to rawlicious almost immediately and asked if they would be willing to share their recipe. While I had no luck with the recipe - I did get an inside scope that a cookbook is expected to be released next summer - I will of course purchase this book, cross my fingers, and hope that this recipe, or at least the tangy Thai sauce will be included.

Thank you Rawlicious!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2nd Annual Philly S.E.E.D Fest 2017 Recap

Charlie was a sinner. Philadelphia, PA (Vegan and Gluten-Free)

Tia Lupita Hot Sauce

Han Dynasty is a gluten free safe heaven!!

When Some days...You Just Feel Like The Odd Man Out

How Living With A Dog Has Changed My Life

Mom's Organic, Naked Lunch both Vegan and Gluten Free

King Daddy's Chicken and Waffles, Asheville, NC Gluten-Free and Vegetarian Friendly

Philly S.E.E.D Fest 2017

Ayurvedic Carrot Soup