Gluten Free in NYC, the Butcher's Daughter

On a Sunday afternoon, a group of family and I decided to head into Little Italy. Oddly enough, a vegan and gluten free gal was really looking forward to the this trip. I know, I know, you are thinking, "what could she possibly be looking forward to...it is not the pasta, it is not the sausage or the meatballs, what the heck is she talking about?"  I'm talking about a wonderful raw food restaurant just on the outskirts of Little Italy called Rawlicious. 

As we were getting closer to the city, I went to pull some last minute directions up to Rawlicious, only to find that my allltime favorite place had closed. Arg! I was really looking forward to a good meal. 

In desperation mode, I did a little gluten free, juice bar, and vegan app searches. I came up with The Butcher's Daughter. I couldn't successfully pull up their brunch menu on my iPhone, but I could see they had fresh juices and figured, if nothing else...at east I could grab a bunch of juices for lunch. 

I made my 4-5 minute walk to The Butcher's Daughter and quickly informed the staff that I needed to order something to go, as I was meeting the rest of my party at an Italian restaurant in Little Italy. The staff, energetically informed me that I would need to go next door for anything "To-Go" related. I scrambled next door and asked the waitress to help. I neede something to-go that is both vegan and gluten free. She informed me that it might be a limited option with their brunch menu. I quickly responded back, that's fine. I'm not a picky eater, I'll go with your recommendation of the kale salad with a cashew cheese sauce. While in the back of my mind, I think to myself, really? Another massaged kale salad with a cashew cheese sauce. Is that all the NYC has to offer their vegan customers? 

I picked up two juices to have later in the day, my total bill was a ridiculous 35 dollars. Are they seriouse? I realize it's the city, but this juice better be freshly made and the salad best be large and delicious! I packed up my order and headed back to Little Italy. When we arrived back at the restaurant, I placed my bag down on my chair as I took off my winter layers (coat, scarf, gloves...). When I went to sit back down, I realized that my juice was leaking.... And I was now wearing about half of the juice on my behind. Arg! If I wasn't annoyed enough that I paid 35 for this food already. 

I decided to move past the fact that I was going to smell like rotten spinach for the remainder of the day and be hopeful that I would enjoy my kale salad. 

Finally, my family's food had arrived so I could reveal my salad. First impression, plating was beautiful. 


Second impression, this was the worst tasting salad I have ever had! Literally, I was picking this salad apart which is not something I do. I find it rude and annoying when people do deconstruct their plates, but I just could not help myself. This salad was just so discussting. The fake bacon was burnt, the dressing had chunks in it, the avocado was not yet ripe.... I could go on and on about the negatives within this salad...but I have forced my mind to try and forget some things. Needless to say, I'll never be returning and I will certainly will not recommend The Butcher's Daughter to anyone. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2nd Annual Philly S.E.E.D Fest 2017 Recap

Charlie was a sinner. Philadelphia, PA (Vegan and Gluten-Free)

Tia Lupita Hot Sauce

Han Dynasty is a gluten free safe heaven!!

When Some days...You Just Feel Like The Odd Man Out

How Living With A Dog Has Changed My Life

King Daddy's Chicken and Waffles, Asheville, NC Gluten-Free and Vegetarian Friendly

Mom's Organic, Naked Lunch both Vegan and Gluten Free

Philly S.E.E.D Fest 2017

Ayurvedic Carrot Soup