Gluten Free & Vegan Thanksgiving

Holidays are always a challenge with food allergies, but even more so when you are traveling to a crazy, rambunctious, Italian family - I swear, it is as if the the Italian bread and pastas are flying across the room. I would never change a thing, I love the family and how loud we are - but it does provide an additional challenge.

This year, I decided I wanted to make a seasonal holiday dish for myself. Last minute, I was not confident that I would get everything ready for the Holiday - but with a deep breathe, I managed. I successfully created a pretty awesome seasonal gluten free and vegan dish for my own Thanksgiving meal.

Now, keep in mind, I am limited to what I can make because the food I bring either has to sit indoors or on a porch with the possibility of freezing.

I went all out of on the seasonal squash this year. Oh, and I tried to incorporate cranberries in all of my dishes!

The star, presentation wise, was the stuffed acorn squash. It was so simple. I roasted a number of vegetables (brussel sprouts, onions, peppers, radishes, etc) and stuffed the squash. I added some cranberries and some spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, garlic, cumin, turmeric, and black pepper).

Probably the easiest dish I made for Thanksgiving and it was pretty darn good. It was a dish that everyone was trying to steal.

I also made a butternut squash soup. Simply roast a butternut. Add some roasted pepper and homemade vegetable stock, toss in some seasoning and ta-da you are done - it's that easy to create a delicious and seasonal soup.

This dish but added a lot of color and flavor to my Thanksgiving meal. I also added a little sage and roasted pumpkin seeds for some crunch.

One of the dishes I was most excited for, was my vegan mac-n-cheeze. I made a spaghetti squash for the base and then with a roasted butternut squash, some almond milk, a splash of vegetable broth, and some seasoning - I made a nice creamy vegan mac-n-cheeze. I originally tried this vegan sauce with kelp noodles, but it did not work as well as I had hoped. The sauce had nothing to really adhere to and I felt like I was pretty much eating cardboard.

I also managed to put together a quick tossed salad. Simple? Yes, but very much appreciated at times throughout the Holiday weekend.

So even though it was a challenge to create a dish that was travel worthy - I think that this was by far, my best holiday dish since being gluten free and vegan.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luhv Cafe - Vegan Bistro in Hatboro PA

Annual Family PSU Tailgating

Han Dynasty is a gluten free safe heaven!!

Gluten Free Allergy Free Secaucus, NJ 2017 Expo Review

Mom's Organic, Naked Lunch both Vegan and Gluten Free

Updates on my Life

Vegan & Gluten-Free Jackfruit Tuna Salad

The Juice Merchant - Narberth, PA Opening Day

La Colombe Philadelphia, PA

Creamy Vegan and Gluten-Free Savory Curry Zucchini Oats