Experimenting with Kimchi

I'm addicted to this stuff, but I only purchase it as a "present" to myself because I eat an entire jar in one sitting - so the price adds up!

I was craving some spicy fermented cabbage and decided to just experiment with the ingredients that I already had at home.

I had the cabbage. I had some ginger. I had some spicy peppers. I had some red pepper powder. Garlic is always kept in bulk at my place. I had some leftover lemon grass and Kombu seaweed from last week's soup recipe.

Now, for a starter.... what did I already have on hand that I could quickly put together a kimchi?! Ah - I still had some brown miso!

Without any measurements I went for it. I put the cabbage and ginger through the food processor and then blended filtered water and a large overflowing tablespoon of the miso.

I mixed everything together - packed it tightly within the jar and let it set for 5 days.

I was holding myself back from opening it any too early - but I was anxious.

While I learned that I would like to add some additional vegetables, less water and more spice - for my first go at it - I LOVED this kimchi and it was much much cheaper to make on my own!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2nd Annual Philly S.E.E.D Fest 2017 Recap

Tia Lupita Hot Sauce

Han Dynasty is a gluten free safe heaven!!

Charlie was a sinner. Philadelphia, PA (Vegan and Gluten-Free)

Mom's Organic, Naked Lunch both Vegan and Gluten Free

When Some days...You Just Feel Like The Odd Man Out

King Daddy's Chicken and Waffles, Asheville, NC Gluten-Free and Vegetarian Friendly

How Living With A Dog Has Changed My Life

Philly S.E.E.D Fest 2017

Camping Done Healthy (Gluten-Free Camping).