Kombu Soup - Gluten Free and Vegan

Within the last year, I have begun to explorer the many benefits to adding seaweed to my diet. I've learned a number of benefits to seaweed including:

1.  Seaweed is very high in iodine, which most of us lack in our typical diets. Iodine is crucial for maintaining a healthy thyroid. 
2.  Seaweed is said to help prevent breast cancer
3.  Seaweed contains a number of antioxidants and some even consider it an anti-inflammatory. 
4.  Seaweed is one of the richest plant sources calcium. 
5.  Seaweed is high in protein. 

All these fabulous health benefits encouraged me to explorer beyond the dulse seaweed that I was crinkling up on my salads. I marched into Whole Foods and I found this, rather off-putting brownish cardboard-like slab, kombu seaweed. I had no idea what I was going to do with it...but I figured I would get creative. 

I did a little research and it looked like no matter what I wanted to make, it was imperative to soda the kombu beforehand. I decided to put a total of 6 cups of water into a pan. I added a couple sheets of the kombu and a bit of grated ginger and garlic. Later, as the seaweed begin to soften, I toke the sheets out and cut them into thin noodle-like pieces. I placed the seaweed back into the pan and added some lemongrass, scallians, pepper, and cabbage. 

This soup is amazing, it is simple, yet bursting with flavor.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Asiana Garden, Radnor, PA Gluten Free and Vegan

Philly Gala for the Humane Leaque

Philly Vegan Gala 12/10/2016