Kombu Soup - Gluten Free and Vegan
Within the last year, I have begun to explorer the many benefits to adding seaweed to my diet. I've learned a number of benefits to seaweed including:
1. Seaweed is very high in iodine, which most of us lack in our typical diets. Iodine is crucial for maintaining a healthy thyroid.
2. Seaweed is said to help prevent breast cancer
3. Seaweed contains a number of antioxidants and some even consider it an anti-inflammatory.
4. Seaweed is one of the richest plant sources calcium.
5. Seaweed is high in protein.
All these fabulous health benefits encouraged me to explorer beyond the dulse seaweed that I was crinkling up on my salads. I marched into Whole Foods and I found this, rather off-putting brownish cardboard-like slab, kombu seaweed. I had no idea what I was going to do with it...but I figured I would get creative.
I did a little research and it looked like no matter what I wanted to make, it was imperative to soda the kombu beforehand. I decided to put a total of 6 cups of water into a pan. I added a couple sheets of the kombu and a bit of grated ginger and garlic. Later, as the seaweed begin to soften, I toke the sheets out and cut them into thin noodle-like pieces. I placed the seaweed back into the pan and added some lemongrass, scallians, pepper, and cabbage.
This soup is amazing, it is simple, yet bursting with flavor.