Kitchuri Ayurvedic Cooking

Continuing my quest on a healthy Ayurvedic lifestyle - I made myself my first ever batch of the ever-healing Kitchuri!

I started my journey at the local Indian grocery store.

I went through every isle and I grabbed anything that was on my "allowed to eat list" and ignored those that are on the "stay away from list".

While I know this list will change with the seasons, my health, etc I was sad to skip over some of the items....

Moving on, as we are going to remain optimistic and hopeful on this journey. There are still a good bit of allowed food items that I enjoy and I do enjoy trying new recipes and cuisines!

I am going to try and refrain from eating leftovers and focus on daily new cooked meals, but I need to ease into this new regimen to so I suggest that in the future, one would cut this recipe in half!

Healing Kitchari Cleanse Recipe:
½ cup brown basmati rice
1/4 cup split mung dal (moong dal)
6-8 cups of filtered water
½ an acorn squash
1-2 tsp of a mix of coriander, cumin, and fennel 
½ tsp of turmeric 
Cilantro for topping 

I started by pre-soaking the Mung beans and Rice overnight. 

I then rinsed the rice and added it to a pan with about 2-3 cups of water. I brought it to a boil, then covered the pan and added a little more water. I stirred occasionally to reduce any sticking. 

I added the remaining water, spices, and pumpkin. I let the dish cook on low heat, covered, for another 25-30 minutes and then enjoyed with some fresh cilantro!

This dish makes about 4 servings.

I need to do some tweaking on the recipe, but all-in-all....it wasn't awful. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Asiana Garden, Radnor, PA Gluten Free and Vegan

Philly Gala for the Humane Leaque

Philly Vegan Gala 12/10/2016