Getting My Creative Mo-Jo Back

As I continue to heal my mind, body, and spirit - I am realizing who I am, and what it is that I enjoy doing. I don't have it all figured out - but slow and steady wins the race!

One thing I do know that I enjoy and I like to think I am pretty darn good, is cooking.
I tend to cook from smell rather than a recipe.

My sister was headed over for some much needed sister time and I decided to just bring random things out of the cupboard and roll with it.

I started by pulling out a little bit of this and a little bit of that and decided to pull a little bit more as I moved forward in the creation.

I started with my new favorite technique, heating my spices.

I turned the stove on, let it heat up a bit. Then added my spices (Mustard Seeds, Garlic, Ginger, Turmeric, Parsley, Star Anise, Fennel Seeds, Onion Flakes, Mushrooms, and a touch of cinnamon.

After a minute or two, I added in two giant spoons of Brown Miso paste. I let that cook a couple of seconds and then started adding water.

I eyed this measurement and just added until I felt like I had enough.

I let this mixture simmer for a bit and then added two tablespoons of molasses, a touch of liquid aminos and a splash of pomegranate juice.

Getting closer to dinner time, I added in some mushroom tops, sugar snap peas, fresh live arugula, and cilantro.

I selected King Soba Buckwheat Noodles for this dish. I thought the earthiness of the buckwheat would pair well with the broth.

As I began cooking the noodles (directly into the broth), I heated my pan for a porter house steak. Once the pan was heated, I added a touch of neutral oil and let that heat up. I placed the porter house down on the pan for 4 minutes without touching it. I then removed the steak, cut the bone away added everything back into the pan (including the bone) and broiled it for an additional 4 minutes or so.

For the finishing touches, I added a nice runny egg and some crushed cashews.

Here is to a quick and healthy dish

For my vegan friends, you can simply leave out to egg and the steak and enjoy a quick Soba Noodle dish. You could even add a miso glazed tofu.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2nd Annual Philly S.E.E.D Fest 2017 Recap

Charlie was a sinner. Philadelphia, PA (Vegan and Gluten-Free)

Tia Lupita Hot Sauce

Han Dynasty is a gluten free safe heaven!!

When Some days...You Just Feel Like The Odd Man Out

How Living With A Dog Has Changed My Life

Mom's Organic, Naked Lunch both Vegan and Gluten Free

King Daddy's Chicken and Waffles, Asheville, NC Gluten-Free and Vegetarian Friendly

Philly S.E.E.D Fest 2017

Ayurvedic Carrot Soup