Greater Philly Gluten Free Expo Recap

My apologies for a late post. I have currently been what I like to call - embarking on my friend's generosity (a.k.a homeless) until my new place opens up.

Life is a journey that we can never plan! Instead of fighting it, I have chosen to embrace it and enjoy every moment that I have had with each friend who has offered his/her hospitality to me in my time of need. It has given me the opportunity to see who really are my true friends and I embrace that love throughout my healing journey. Namste my loves!

Back to business - my recap on the Greater Philly Gluten Free Expo.
To be honest, I was not sure what to expect. I have been to gluten free expos before but this one, for some reason or another, had me thinking smaller scale.

Upon arrival, the VIPs were given gift bags and ushered into a waiting area where Happy Mixer Bakery provided some delights to enjoy. I was curious as to why they didn't offer more breakfast-like foods since it was around 9:00am, but I won't lie I enjoyed the brownies. Cookies, I find these are no longer my thing. When I first went gluten free, I went cold turkey and didn't really look for gluten free alternatives to many foods, but as I have been without some of these foods for years, I find I lack interest in them - cookies being one of them.

Once all vendors had confirmed their setup - it was off to the races we go. I had already taken the convention map and highlighted the vendors that I knew I wanted to spend some extra time at.
I ran around like a mad-woman trying to communicate and sample just about everything!

I ran to Sweet Note Bagels - I had been really itching to try their bagels. I have been struggling to find bagels that I enjoy and have been faithfully stalking their instagram and knew I would fall in love instantly! Of course, I did! I was just slightly disappointed because the sample sizes where very small and I wanted to try some toppings - but listen, this won't stop me from grabbing a bag (or a dozen) of my own and enjoying them! Thank you Sweet Note for not only being gluten free, but for being the top 8 allergen free!

I was so grateful that two of my non-gluten free sisters joined me for this special event! I was a bit worried they wouldn't want to try any of the products or that they would try the products and consider them all gross! Let's be honest, I have been gluten free long enough that my taste buds have changed and a girl is grateful to have bread that isn't the density and taste of a rock - just saying....

My sisters actually even purchased some of the products for themselves, one of which was the Patty Up. YUM, that is all I need to say on this one! It can be very difficult to find a gluten free and vegan burger that is free of MSG, Soy, Chemicals, Preservatives, and starch - so again, YAY to Patty up!

Next up was the wonderful Luce's gluten free artisan bread mixes. I love how the company logo matches the owner's beard :). All three of us appreciated the taste and texture of this bread - if I remember correctly, the rye was the most favored.

One of the gifts in our VIP bags was a box of Banza Pasta. I have been wanting to try this pasta, but never wanted to purchase it, as it does contain xantham gum (one of the products I try to avoid). However, for this occasion, most of my food rules went right out the window and I indulged. The representatives let us know that they actually cooked the pasta the night before and they were simply reheating it for today's event. Wait, let me restate that - gluten free pasta was reheated and did not turn into a pile of mush?!? Unheard of!

Krave Jerky was another product that my sisters purchased for themselves.
Meat isn't really my thing so sorry that I can't give a great personal recap myself, but props to you that my sisters enjoyed it!

Aleia's Gluten free products are awesome! We really enjoyed the Almond Horns!

Bread Empire has some amazingly soft gluten free buddah bread.

Garden Lites was there showcasing some of their old favorites and some new products as well. We enjoyed them all! I appreciate them being gluten and soy free, just wished they would also exclude the eggs!

Conte's Pasta was there - they brought along with them some raviolis and gnocchi. Both where delicious and my sisters even comments on how they forgot they were gluten free.

Element Snacks, this was a new company to me. They are cute little rice cakes coated in a variety of flavors. They are vegan, free of preservatives, artificial flavors, peanut and GMOs.

Farmer's Keep - a newer restaurant in the Philadelphia area was another place I have been trying to get to and just had not yet done so. Thank you Farmer's Keep for being one of the few vendors at the expo with real food. I was starting to hit a sugar high! The sample options: Curried Mango Quinoa (golden quinoa, mango, apricot, cilantro, white vinegar, apple cider vinegar, honey, coriander, cumin, curry spices, evoo, and salt and pepper)  and Peruvian Purple Potato Salad (purple potatoes, parsley, lemon, lemon zest, evoo, tofu, garlic, onion, Dijon mustard and salt and pepper) - both of these are gluten free and vegan (well I do honey so vegan to me)! ALLELUIA! The taste was out of this world!

Tonya's Gluten Free Soft Pretzel - I'm not really a big soft pretzel gal anymore, but these where pretty amazing!

LUHV foods-one of my favorite vendors of the day was there with their vegan gluten free burgers and two soups! I won't spill too many details here, as I will be doing a full review for them in a later post, but AMAZING! I can't wait for them to open their new restaurant!

They included this amazing sauce on the burgers, not sure what it was, but it was the icing on top of the cake.


Before leaving, I couldn't help myself, I had to go back to Happy Mixer's stand. OMG, the monkey bread and the donuts! Oh man! They definitely make me reconsider my lack of interest in desserts.

As you can see, we enjoyed ourselves and took home some extra goodies to enjoy later on!

I just wanted to send out a special than you to both of my sisters for coming with me and supporting me on this gluten free, well really, allergy free lifestyle. I love you both very much and it meant the world to me that you came out and appeared to really engage in the event and enjoy it. Love xoxo














Comments

  1. This is a gorgeous place, and I won't soon forget it. Attended an event here sponsored by the company. The reception hour was held in one of the rooms next to the Chicago event venues. I loved their buttery mashed sweet potato.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Luhv Cafe - Vegan Bistro in Hatboro PA

Annual Family PSU Tailgating

Gluten Free Allergy Free Secaucus, NJ 2017 Expo Review

Han Dynasty is a gluten free safe heaven!!

Mom's Organic, Naked Lunch both Vegan and Gluten Free

La Colombe Philadelphia, PA

Vegan & Gluten-Free Jackfruit Tuna Salad

King Daddy's Chicken and Waffles, Asheville, NC Gluten-Free and Vegetarian Friendly

Vegan Gluten-Free Jackfruit Cubano

Making the Most of Your Blender Cooking Class with Mt. Airy Learning Tree