Gluten Free and Vegan Pumpkin Cheese

As my body starts to heal, I find that I am craving my old ways - reminiscing on the times when I would spend the entire day cooking new recipes (meals, bread, cakes, granola, you get the picture...)

Knowing that I am not back to my 100%-self, I do take it easy and sometimes get leery of new things  - How will my body handle it? Will I be sick for days and need time to recover? Will it be a win?

You don't know without taking changes, right? So, I have decided to take chances, just in baby-steps.

I have been craving cheese. I am going to blame the holidays - I watched everyone indulge in their Italian Antipasto plates filled with cheese. Omelets smothered in healthy doses of cheese - or was it the other way around, cheese topped with an egg, and pasta drenched in gooey melted cheeses! Oh my, hungry just thinking about it.

Why can't I, a gluten-free and vegan gal also enjoy my Italian heritage? I started doing what I do with anything, Google-searcing. I found a couple of articles noting I should use this stuff called agar-agar powder, as it would be my "glue" for the cheese. I hadn't had any experience with agar-agar in the past and was somewhat resisting the use of this ingredient due to the cost - almost $4.00 per ounce - YIKES!

I broke down, bought the agar-agar powder and started creating my own recipe.

I still had one last pumpkin left - so this would be my base. I figured the color would work perfectly!

INGREDIENTS
1. Pumpkin Puree
2. A tiny bit of water
3. Raw, unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar
4. Garlic
5. Rosemary, and whatever seasonings you wish
6. Tumeric
7. 1 tablespoon agar-agar powder

INSTRUCTIONS
I made the pumpkin puree.
Added the pumpkin and a tad bit of water to my Vitamix
Pureed on high for about 30 seconds
Added in the apple cider vinegar, agar-agar powder, and seasonings
Pureed on high for about a minute
Poured the batter into a silicone bread loaf
Let set in the fridge for about 3 hours
ENJOYED it!

Verdict, texture was "jelled" almost similar to cheddar and the taste is, well, as far as I can remember reminiscent of cheese :)



Comments

  1. Sounds oddly delish!! I'm always amazed at the work you put into food. Wish I had the energy/desire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maureen, anytime you want to cook together, I am down!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Asiana Garden, Radnor, PA Gluten Free and Vegan

Philly Gala for the Humane Leaque

Philly Vegan Gala 12/10/2016