Vegan Jackfruit Chicken Salad (Allergy Free)

If you have not yet read about the new buzzworthy vegan meat option, here is another plug for the jackfruit.

The jackfruit, to my understanding, is in the fig tree family. The pulp is about 70% water, 20% carbs and a bit of fat and protein mixed in.

I choose to purchase the fruit itself rather than the canned variety - fresh is always better in my book!

I had no idea what I was doing! The woman at the store did let me know it would be on the sticky side, but I didn't know just how sticky!

When cutting into the jackfruit, it is coated with a sap-like consistency, thus making it necessary to cover your prep area and I also choose to wear some gloves.

I watched a couple youtube videos and off I was!

Man! This was a task, carefully cutting away the brine, peeling the white flesh, scooping out the fruit pulp and preserving the seeds (which can be boiled or steamed and consumed).
     **Please note, if you wait to cut out the fruit pulp until you are ready to consume, the flavor seems to hold better. I cut the entire fruit at once and later realized that the fruit was no longer as flavorful.

After a couple hours of prep work, I was ready to begin!

I took the jackfruit and began adding ingredients. Sorry, no measurements here, it was pure experimentation and just guess work so have fun with the ingredients and adjust the portions to your liking.


  • Lemon Juice
  • Water
  • Tumeric
  • Black Pepper
  • Seaweed
  • Apple Cider Vinegar
  • Gluten-free soy sauce
  • Lots of fresh minced garlic
  • Some chopped celery
  • Ginger
  • Frozen peas (to be added at the end)
  • Cilantro (to be sprinkled at the end)





I realized that just soaking the fresh jackfruit (I was using the white flesh and the fruit pulp) was not creating the consistency I wanted - so I tossed everything in a pan and cooked/boiled for about 30-minutes on medium heat. At the tail end of the cooking process, I added the frozen peas, cooked until tender and then added to a bed of zucchini noodles and fresh cilantro. 

Overall, the texture became less chewy, resembled shredded chicken and picked up all of my ingredients flavors! It was a meal I had enjoyed and I couldn't wait to experiment
with jackfruit some more! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Asiana Garden, Radnor, PA Gluten Free and Vegan

Philly Gala for the Humane Leaque

Philly Vegan Gala 12/10/2016